* Temporarily closed to the public due to COVID-19 *
In the 1950’s Landers grew mainly as an area of recreational homes for part-timers and weekenders encouraged by the government’s passage of the Five Acre Homestead Act (also known as the “Jackrabbit Homestead Act”). Mail was delivered on a Star Route to about 42 mailboxes. However, residents who had postal boxes (at a postal facility) had to drive into the Yucca Valley Post Office to pick up their mail since Landers did not have its own Post Office.
According to Mrs. Vernette Landers, the Post Office was the first post office to be granted in an area of government recreational tracts
It was Newlin Landers who first attempted, unsuccessfully, to persuade the government to establish a post office in Landers. 1959, Vernette took up the campaign to bring a post office to Landers.
Her campaign took over two years and she wrote and received dozens of letters before, on July 31, 1961, she received a letter from the Post Office Department affirming that: “A survey recently completed determined that a postal facility is warranted at Landers.”
IMAGE: The original US Post Office and Pay Phone
*The Capitol Flag Program began in 1937 when a Member of Congress requested a flag that had flown over the Capitol. Note September 25, 1961 Congressman Sheppard purchased the flag. Morongo Basin Historical Society has the flag that flew over the Capitol February 1, 1962 when the museum officially opened on 2½ acres exhibited inside the museum.
IMAGE: Vernette working in the Post Office
Built in 1958 for Mr. Kingbell as a recreational not a homestead cabin it was 1 room 16.5 x 25.5– 404 .25 square feet. Located on 2 ½ acres at 890 Landers Lane, Vernette bought the cabin from Richard and Frances Kelly.
Vernette Landers paid for running the Post Office including salaries, utilities and all other operating expenses for 22 years.
Dedication Day was Feb. 2, 1962 and officially opened with 170 mailboxes of which 160 were rented by permanent residents.
In 1997 ground was broken for new post office. The opening ceremony was May 4, 1998
IMAGE: Newlin Landers’ grandchildren Robbin Landers Rauschenberg and Bill Landers - Landers Day, 2019